Wednesday, December 11, 2013

JOY!!!! Snowflake handprint project!

We were on a roll yesterday with crossing things off our Christmas Adventure list- or well at least attempting to cross things off! After waiting for 2 hours at Bass Pro we decided to tackle Santa another day!

However, EXCITEDLY we did finish our snowflake hand-print project!  My mom (gammy) saw this on pinterest and I just had to do it!

All the supplies you need are:
1. A cheap 16"X20"canvas (from like Michaels or Joann fabrics- they're like $3 each with a coupon or sale)
2. Some leftover house paint
3.  Black sharpie or black paint/permanent marker
4. Some garbage bags
5. Non-Toxic washable kids paint (like $3.49 at Walmart for this whole box of colors)! I used white to simulate "snow" however you can use whatever colors you might have decorated your house with, or ones that are your kids favorites!
6. An Apron!
7. Your camera with quick fingers!
 
I have this alcove at the top of our stairs that I have been dying to fill with a painting of some sort!  I have some Christmas decor I wanted to put on the ledge but it needed something more!

I painted the canvas using the same paint we used for the upstairs hallway- we had like almost a gallon left so why let it go to waste!


 (After letting it dry for a few days) Using a sharpie marker then a black chalk marker I chose one of my fav Christmas inspired words and drew it on the canvas!

I threw down two large plastic trash-bags on the floor, squirted some white paint on a plate, and then debated on "what should I dress her in that is easy to take off and I don't care if it gets ruined (just in case). First I though of an elaborate towel tying plan so I could easily put her in the tub after, and then thought about just letting her go around in just a diaper but it was WAY too cold on the tile floor, and then I remembered...
An old apron from my Grandma! Eureka!
I randomly started tying the apron up so it would somewhat fit and OMG she was the cutest little thing ever!

I almost didn't get a "before" picture because she was already trying to faceplant the white paint!


She absolutely hated having her hands wet at first.  She doesn't like to touch wet food either!


But after she realized she could "drum" anywhere she wanted, she went absolutely bonkers!



She couldn't wait to smear her hands all around the plate and was more fascinated with the plate than the canvas!


 She would have brief moments of "I just want to keep my hands in the air" and then go straight into a jam session again!

(mommy helped with a few of her fingerprints)

Truthfully, I could barely snap pictures because from start to finish this whole process lasted less than 3 minutes!!! And she only tried to eat the paint once!

I love the smudge on her nose and how she kept slapping her legs too!

Her final product!


JOY!!  I added some glitter and hairspray to kind of "set" everything and can't wait to share pics of her first masterpiece hanging up with our nook fully decorated!

PS. Clean up was a breeze!  The paint dried quick so I can use the plastic bags again, the few spots that were on the floor came up with ease, and within 30 seconds of plopping her in the tub the paint was gone (no scrubbing even!)! I highly recommend this FUN and easy project!

Too bad that we got all bathed and dressed up for Santa, but didn't get to see him! Ahhh next week!

Keep posted for more of our adventures!  

X, Jamie



No comments:

Post a Comment