Friday, December 13, 2013

Feel the burn! Lunchtime rehab recap!

Oh I feel the burn today!  Yesterday was my second appointment with Endurance Rehab and Lacey my physical therapist is INCREDIBLE! (My first appointment Monday was just a consultation!)  She told me I would feel our workout today, and I definitely do- not as extreme as I was worried about but I definitely can tell my butt muscles are beyond weak!  

A few posts back I mentioned that I have osteoarthritis in my knees and unfortunately have some severe spurs forming.  Even after years of working out and training it was so very shocking to learn and see that my weak glutes and hips are some of the main contributors to my knee problems since I had Olive!  My core and pelvic floor were just annihilated after gaining 34lbs of baby weight so I definitely have a long way to go to get everything in proper form before pounding the pavement again and participating in the Esprit de She triathlon in May!

I wanted to share with you some of the incredible (but super basic) exercises she has me doing to build my fundamental strength!  They all seem super simple, but when you have to hold your butt and abs tight and keep your posture in check some of these moves are downright hard!  

(Disclaimer: I'm not a physician so please consult a Dr. before trying these!)

    
We are doing lots of
 planks: Standard on elbows 2X35 seconds each, L/RSide 2X35 seconds
 butt-squeezing step ups (3x10) and sit to standing (2X10)....
Clam shells (3X10) with bands, 
bridges/ glute raises with bands (3X10)....
A LOT of IT band stretches using the wall, doorways, and the floor, 
and lateral steps (3X10) in both directions with the resistance bands!
 In addition to these moves we are doing a lot of stretching, rolling on a foam roller, and concentrating on changing my bad every day habits (like carrying olive on one hip, turning my knees in when I climb the stairs, and posture).  It will take at least 4 weeks for me to feel a difference she was saying and at least 8 for me to build new and stronger muscle in my weak areas!  I am so excited and am so very thankful to have this opportunity to work with Lacey and Endurance rehab!  I can't wait to get running again while the weather is still cool!

Speaking of core work and baby weight... 
FLASHBACK AHEAD!

 This time last year I was 24 weeks pregnant with Baby Olive and had only gained like 8lbs at this point! 
(I still have 10 lbs of that baby weight to lost to get back to my pre-baby weight!)  
 This picture was taken at David's parents house when we celebrated an early Christmas with them!!  I was working at Pier 1 and had a daily overdose of glitter, candles, yummy Christmas smells, and 24-7 kicks from little Olive!  December was truly one of the most fun months ever!

Keep an eye our for pics from our weekend adventures on Facebook and Instagram!  This weekend is the Iron Girl Fountain Hills 5k-our yearly girls tradition! I can't wait to share our matching outfits we have planned and cruise around with Olive in her decorated stroller!!!!

What do you all have planned this weekend?! (It's not too late to register for the walk/run!)


X, Jamie 


No comments:

Post a Comment